Many, many years ago in High School Home Economics I learned how to make apple crisp. I took that recipe and adapted it to this delicious pie that I make all the time.
Apple Crumb Pie
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 5 medium apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup flour, plus 1 tsp.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon and 1 tsp. flour. This will be mixed with the apples.
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, butter and 1 cup flour. Blend into crumbs using a pastry blender or clean hands. Refrigerate the crumbs until needed.
- At the bottom of a 9 inch pie crust sprinkle some of the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Peel, core and cut up the apple. As you do this add it to the pie crust and alternate layers of apple and the sugar/cinnamon mixture, until complete.
- Add the crumbs to the top of the pie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes or until apples are tender and the crumb topping is light brown.