I love using cake mixes and adding my own special ingredients to have it a “homemade” dessert. This easy dump cake recipe came to me when I noticed that one of the mixes I had was going to expire very soon. It happened to be a spice mix. How perfect since it’s right around Halloween. My secret to the perfect cake mix recipe, seltzer. Makes the cake light and fluffy. It came out fantastic. The whole family loved it. Give this one a try, bet you will too.
Cake Mix Spiced Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 1 box spiced cake mix
- 1 can plain seltzer
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- pumpkin chips, optional
- cinnamon sugar for top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mist a square cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the chips and cinnamon sugar.
- Using a hand held mixer, mix until all is combined and batter is fluffy. Use a rubber spatula to dip down deep to get any dry mix, make sure all is completely mixed well.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out. Toss chips if using and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of cake.
- Bake around 30 to 40 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched and toothpick comes out clean or with dry to moist crumbs. Try not to over bake. Check after 30 minutes. Return to oven if needed.
- Let cake cool in pan until almost completely cooled. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Makes 12 squares.