It’s the end of summer and you have a surplus of homegrown tomatoes left. You have already given a bunch away to family and friends yet, you still have too many that may go bad before you get a chance to eat them, check this easy way to freeze them. This way you will have freshly frozen tomatoes ready for any recipe over the next several months.
Easy Steps for Freezing Whole Tomatoes
- Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 60-90 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully spoon into a large bowl of ice water.
- When cooled, skin will slip off. Remove the stem and core the tomato. Work over a bowl to catch the juices.
- Using a measuring cup, fill pint or quart size Ziploc bags.
- Seal bags tightly. Make sure to push out as much air as possible when sealing to avoid freezer burn.
- Try to store flat. Date and label bags. Don’t forget this step.
Frozen tomatoes will retain flavor for up to 12 months.