This wonderful homemade sauce came about when my daughter Tori and I came back from shopping for some good fruits and vegetables at a local farmers market. They had baby eggplant that looked so fresh and perfect along with bunches of basil and cherry and grape tomatoes. We grabbed some tomato paste and a can of plain tomato sauce to round out what we hoped would be a delicious homemade sauce. We were not disappointed and so pleasantly surprised how delicious and fresh the sauce turned out. Try this at your home to smell and taste the yumminess!
Fresh Eggplant Tomato Basil Sauce -No Added Oil
*Please note, all ingredients are approximate. You may need to add a little more of something or use less such as water, vegetable stock, or salt. It’s to taste and texture of how you like your sauce.
- 2 baby eggplants or 1 small eggplant, chopped into small to medium chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, or mixed, sliced in half
- 1 large can low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup vegetable stock, found next to the chicken stock in local markets
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped coarsely
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup or more if needed boiled water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped finely
- 1 small shallot or small onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp honey or date syrup, optional (we love everything sweet)
- In a large nonstick skillet, pour vegetable stock until heated. Add eggplant and cook until softened. Now, add in garlic and shallot. You may need to add a little more stock or water. Add in tomatoes. Cook and stir until they start to soften. Add in tomato sauce and paste. You may need to now add in some boing water. Stir and bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer.
- After the sauce has been simmering for a few minutes, taste test. If you need to add in salt and pepper, do this now. Stir cook another minute or two. Stir in honey if using and cook another few minutes. At anytime if you need to add more stock or water go ahead. Just bring back up to a boil.
- When ready to serve, add in basil, let cook for just a minute to keep it’s color.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with basil or parsley.