I called these brunettes because they are not quite a brownie and not quite a blondie. They are however, fudgy and gooey deliciousness. Made with healthy ingredients, you won’t believe it when you taste these. Feel good about serving these to your family.
Fudgiest Gluten Free and Vegan “Brunettes”
Serves 9 to 12
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, almond butter or any seed butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 flax egg, 1 heaping tbsp. flax meal with 3 tbsp. water, mixed and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/4 brown rice flour
- 1/4 plus 1 tbsp. cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup good quality vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 raw pecans
Preheat oven to 30 degrees, spray an 8 x 8 square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine nut butter, coconut oil, flax egg. Whisk until smooth. Add in flax egg and vanilla. Mix.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients with a whisk.
- Fold in dry ingredients into wet and mix with a rubber spatula. Do not over mix. Toss in chips and nuts and mix gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth out.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes. Brunettes should spring back when touched lightly. Test with a toothpick. Crumbs should be moist. Let cool for at least 30 minutes. Best tasting when cooled. Cut into squares.
Enjoy these healthy treats.
Store up to 2 days on counter or in fridge for 5 days.