Have you heard of Acai? It’s relatively new in the United States but has been very popular in Brazil for the longest time. Acai fruit is a berrylike fruit from palm trees found in Central and South America. Acai is packed with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. Makes a great breakfast and even dessert. These Acai bowls have become pretty popular around Long Island and NYC lately. Found in many yogurt shops and health food stores. They can be pretty pricey to say the least. They can go for up to $12 dollars in some places! Now, you can easily enjoy these at home for a fraction of the cost and tastes amazing! I buy Acai frozen at Trader Joes. Many market now sell Acai as well as online. Check out my easy recipe.
Homemade Refreshing Acai Bowl
- 1 frozen packet unsweetened Acai puree
- 1 tsp raw or drippy honey
- 2 tbsp cold water or fresh orange juice
- 1 small to medium banana
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen then thawed
- 1/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds, these work really well with this recipe
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Follow directions on package of Acai for slightly defrosting. I run the packet under warm water.
- In a blender or small food chopper, add the acai puree with half of the banana, honey and water or orange juice. Whirl up just until blended.
- Pour in a small bowl. Top with berries, nuts and chia seed and the other half of banana that’s been sliced.
That’s it, enjoy this healthy recipe and see and taste the deliciousness that everyone’s talking about! YUM!