Not Too Sweet, Guilt Free Sweet Potato Pie
Every holiday, someone always makes their wonderful recipe for sweet potato pie. The problem is most recipes could have over 400 calories for a small slice and about 20 grams of fat! Way too much! I have come up with this version that has been a hit with my family and friends and no one knows it’s lower in calories and lower in fat. Oh, and by the way, it’s made with baby food sweet potatoes.
The canned sweet potatoes are loaded with sugar which adds calories to the recipe, but baby veggies and fruit are just that: veggies and fruit with no added sugar. It’s also so much easier to use than cooking potatoes, especially since we are all pressed for time. So, try my recipe. I think you will all agree it’s delish! I serve this as a dessert like pumpkin pie: cold with a dollop of whipped topping or light whipped cream.
Nutrition: per slice – calories 243, fat 5, fiber 1.1, protein 6.4
Not Too Sweet, Easy Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 Keebler ready crust reduced fat graham cracker dessert shells (or any brand that is reduced fat )
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1 can (14 ounce) fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 1 extra large whole egg
- 6 jars (4 oz. each) baby food sweet potatoes (I like Beechnut if you can find it.)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp powdered ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp, plus 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheeses until smooth using a hand held mixer.
- This is an important step: gradually beat in the condensed milk, egg whites, egg. Mix for a minute. Then with a rubber spatula add the baby sweet potatoes, spices and extract until well blended.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crusts.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on each pie.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil.
- Bake for anywhere between 50 minutes to 1 hour or so.
- Half way through the baking turn the cookie sheet around. Be very careful doing this. You will see the pies start to crack when they are almost done. They may still seem a bit loose but as long as a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out mostly clean they are done.
- When you take them out cool on wire rack (without the cookie sheet) for 20 minutes and then put back on the cookie sheet and place in fridge for at least 3 hours.
ENJOY this wonderful dessert!
Discover More Delectable Pie Recipes:
Silky And Creamy Citrus Pie
Light as Air Strawberry Pie
Easy Decadent Brownie Pie
Permanent link to this article: http://skinnysweetsdaily.com/not-too-sweet-easy-sweet-potato-pie/