One of my most favorite appetizers to order when eating out is bruschetta. So many restaurants serve it nowadays. It’s usually served on crusty bread like a baguette, Italian or French bread. Even on crackers.
A few times someone in my family have ordered a chicken or fish dish where the topping is fresh bruschetta. How delicious it is. I love anything made with fresh vegetables and of course garlic. This is the most simple throw together recipe. That’s why I called it a shortcut recipe. Using cherry or grape tomatoes really makes this even easier since you can find these in your local markets all year round. Also, I used a real shortcut. Check out the recipe and see what I’m talking about. It’s my new find and I love it and now use this in so many recipes. Whip up some fresh bruschetta soon. It’s yummy!
Shortcut Homemade Fresh Bruschetta
Ingredients: Servings about 4
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes or a combo, sliced in half or if small leave whole
- 1/4 -1/2 small red onion chopped finely
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 cubes frozen crushed garlic, I used Dorot
- 2 cubes frozen crushed basil, I used Dorot, you can add another cube of each to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or to taste for both salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- First thing, pop the cubed garlic and basil out and place in microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds to soften up. The aroma! Set aside.
- Cut tomatoes and place in serving bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Add in garlic and basil. Toss again. Taste test to see if more salt is needed. Serve on your favorite toasted bread, chicken, fish or anyway you can think of. Enjoy the freshness!!
Store in fridge up to 2 days.