Here is another delicious baked donut recipe that I recently came up with when I had a container of Greek yogurt that was going to expire in a few days. I hate wasting food and wanted to bake something with the yogurt. It had been awhile since I used yogurt in a baked recipe and this was the perfect time. These came out terrific. My family loved these wholesome donuts and so did I. My husband grabbed two to take to the office the next morning and my son packed one in his lunch box. Bake a batch soon. They’re really good!
Small Batch Whole Wheat Powdered Sugar Donuts Made With Greek Yogurt
Yields between 6 and 8 donuts
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour, or use all of one of these flours
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar or regular cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk, I used 2 percent
- 1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt, fat free or 2 percent both work for this recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a nonstick donut pan with cooking spray with or without flour. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients with a whisk.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients with a small whisk or fork until smooth.
- Add wet into dry and mix with a rubber spatula just until combined. Make sure you dig down in the bowl to incorporate all dry ingredients into the wet. Try not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon batter into donut pan about 3/4 to the top. If you have leftover batter, wait until this batch is finished then spoon the remaining into pan or use another donut pan.
- Bake for about 8 to 11 minutes. Test after 8 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs. The tops should spring back slightly when touched lightly.
- Let cool in pan about 10 minutes. While cooling, sift powdered sugar with cinnamon if using.
- Invert pan and let donuts fall out onto wire cooling rack. Let cool another 5 minutes.
- Dip into powdered sugar on one or both sides.
Enjoy these delectable donuts!!
Note: Highlighted ingredients are ones I used for this and many of my recipes. They are only a suggestion. 🙂