We love twice baked potatoes from our favorite restaurants. The only problem is, they are loaded with high fat and calories. Usually drenched in butter and topped with bacon. Well, you can enjoy this restaurant favorite right at home. And, their much less in fat and calories but, promise, really tasty and delicious. The whole family will love this recipe and you will be happy knowing you are serving up a healthier version of twice baked potatoes.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk, I used 2 %
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions/green onions or 2 tablespoons chives
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or reduced fat sour cream
- 3/4 – 1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese, I used 2 % reduced fat
- Bake potatoes as directed here…
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut lengthwise in half; scoop out inside, leaving a thin shell. In medium bowl, mash potatoes with potato masher. Then, switch over to a hand held mixer.
- Add milk slowly and beat on low speed. Trying to get all the lumps out.
- Add butter, salt, pepper, onion powder and turmeric. Beat slowly then turn to medium high. Whip until smooth and fluffy. Add yogurt. Beat on slow to incorporate.
- Stir in cheese and scallions.
- Scoop out potato mixture into shells. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Take out and add a little cheese on top. Put back in for 5 minutes just for the cheese to melt.
- Top with additional yogurt or sour cream and enjoy the creamy, cheesy yumminess!