Submitted by: Joanne Perez, Real Bite Nutrition
Summer may a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a grilled meal thanks stovetop grill pans and Panini presses. Flavor is what makes this dish so tasty and this salad uses the “grill” for more than just the steak. The zucchini and peppers are also grilled to enhance their flavor. And by using fresh herbs to make the dressing, you will add yet another layer of flavor. Every bite of this dish will be a treat for your taste buds.
And let’s not forget to mention how adding the avocado slices will not only add flavor, texture and color, but also heart healthy fats. Wondering how to peel and seed an avocado? To peel an avocado, use a stainless steel knife and cut in half lengthwise (if the flesh clings to the pit, gently twist in opposite directions). Remove the pit (use a spoon or spear with tip of a knife). Slice lengthwise in half again. Use your thumb and index finger to grip an edge of the avocado skin and peel.
So gather up your grocery list because you definitely will want to take a Real Bite of this Grilled Steak & Vegetable Salad.
Real Bite Grilled Steak & Vegetable Salad
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh chives, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
Steak and Salad
- 1 lb. sirloin tip side steak, trimmed
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 in. thick
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- ½ firm-ripe avocado, seeded, peeled & thinly sliced (8 slices)
- 6 medium radishes, julienned
- Make dressing: In a food processor or blender, whirl all dressing ingredients until blended. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat a grill to high (450° to 550°).
- Grill steak, turning once, 6 to 8 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill zucchini and bell peppers, turning occasionally, until grill marks appear on zucchini and peppers (4 minutes).
- Cut zucchini in half on a diagonal.
- In a large bowl, toss the romaine, zucchini and peppers. Divide among 4 plates.
- Slice steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips, then cut pieces in half.
- Place steak and avocado slices atop each plate then drizzle with dressing. Garnish with radishes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 400, Protein 32g, Fat 21g, Carbohydrate 26g, Fiber 9g, Sodium 230mg