This easy and delicious recipe was a huge hit when my sister and nieces came to visit. Eat while still warm.
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, found in the bakery department of the grocery store. I used the one in the sleeve. Cut into 15 to 18 slices
- 2 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 1/4 cup half and half, you can use fat free if you want
- 3 large or extra large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 level tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 level tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsb butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans, save a few whole for garnish
- Whipped cream, optional
- Warm maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9 X 13 in baking pan with cooking spray, set aside for a few minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, half and half, eggs, egg whites, vanilla, two teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Set this aside while placing the bread in the pan.
- Lay the bread slices in the pan. It's ok if they overlap.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread and carefully push down with a spatula to get all the bread coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for a few hours. (You can do this the night before up to 8 hours)
- Take out of fridge and set aside while getting the topping ready.
- To make the topping, combine the brown sugar, butter, pecans, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until you have a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the top of the bread evenly. Bake uncovered for about 45-60 minutes. Let sit to cool for about 10 minutes and serve up with syrup and a little whipped cream. Enjoy!
Delectable Recipes with Pecans:
Mini Pecan Pies
Sweet Butter Pecan Cookies
Pecan Sesame Encrusted Chicken