Submitted by: Sanja Andreevska
Chicken is an extremely popular food. It is low in fat and quick to cook, very little wastage. The taste of chicken meat combined with the sweet taste of pineapple and the mixture of different vegetables and spices gives this dish an irresistible taste.
Chicken Casserole with Pineapple and Garlic
- Olive oil or butter
- 1 kg (2 ¼ lb) of chicken meat (white meat, drumstick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 large sweet red peppers cut into chunks or slices
- 4-5 rolls of fresh or canned pineapple
- little cumin
- pinch of thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 juice of one lime
- 1 small can tomato sauce or more to taste
- some water when neeed
- a handful of black olives, optional
- Fry the onion and garlic on a wide pan with butter or olive oil.
- After 2-3 minutes, add the meat that you previously seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- When the meat gets golden color, add finely chopped carrots, peppers and potatoes and add 120-200 ml (1/2 – 1 cup) of water. Simmer until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, add pineapple, tomato sauce, lime juice, olives, thyme and cumin and stir 3-5 minutes until you get homogeneous mixtures and juices run clean. Chicken should be cooked completely.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes as a garnish