Here is my version of the famous treats. I guess you can say they have the volume turned up. Way up! I love anything with chocolate and so does my family. I have made these so many times over the years and now I am happy to share them with you. By the way, these are great for giving as gifts. Wrap each one separately and place them in a pretty box or tin and you will have a treat anyone would love.
Nutrition: calories 80, fat 2.9 g, carbs 8.5 g, fiber 0 g, sugars 8 g, sodium 48.8 mg, protein 0.9 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 2
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispies Treats, Low Carb and Low Sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows or 40 regular size marshmallows. (The cup can be a little heaping)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies or any store brand will do great
- 3 reduced fat graham crackers, break into crumbs by placing in a zip lock bag and rolling with a rolling pin. I added these in the nutritional’s but you can omit them if you want. I like the little bit of crunch they give to the bottom of the bar.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp vegetable oil
- Spray an 9 X 13 inch pan with cooking spray then lay wax or parchment paper over and then spray again. Next, sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs in the pan. Leave an overlap of paper for easy lifting.
- In a large saucepan, (heavy duty works best) melt the butter on low to medium heat. Do not let the butter burn or brown.
- Add the marshmallows and keep stirring until all are melted. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray.
- Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Now add the cereal and mix well. Make sure you take the spatula and scoop all the way to the bottom of the pot to get all the marshmallow that’s still on the bottom.
- When completely mixed, pour into the prepared pan and with a piece of wax paper that’s been sprayed on one side, press down to level off and make even all around. Make sure you get into the corners.
- While that is cooling, melt your chocolate along with the oil in the microwave on 30 second increments. After each time, take out stir and place back in until the chocolate is nice and smooth and melted.
- Now pour over and start spreading with another rubber spatula until it’s nice and even.
- Place in fridge for 5 minutes only. Take out and let set up at room temperature. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Fantastic Recipes with Graham Crackers: