This recipe is a combination of my mom and grandma’s along with my friend Susan’s. My mom and grandma used pineapple instead of pear. Of course you can swap it out if you want. They also added sour cream. This is the most forgiving recipe. Add a little, remove a little. Seems to come out perfect every single time it’s made.
Recently we were at my friend Laurie’s house. Her sister Susan was there and she told me her version. Since the holidays are around the corner, I knew I wanted to do a little experimenting. This version came out really delicious. We serve this with the meal. If there is any leftover, we serve it again with dessert. It’s great for a luncheon or party too. When I catered, this was always on the menu at a baby or bridal shower. It’s so pretty too. Sometimes I added some extra whipped topping for decoration, along with fresh fruit. Whenever you serve this it’s sure to be a big hit.
Classic Pear Lime Jello Lush
Serves 8 to 12 depending how large you make the slices.
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1 (6 oz) box or 2 (3 oz) boxes lime Jello, I used sugar free
- 1 (15 oz) can sliced pears in juice, no sugar added
- 1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, I used reduced fat or Neufchatel cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows, if you can find the colored marshmallows that would be pretty too.
- ½ cup chopped or cut up pecans, optional
- 1½ – 2 cups Cool Whip or Truwhip whipped topping, thawed
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve Jello in boiling water. Let cool a few minutes. Then, pour into a blender. Add juice from pears along with the softened cream cheese. Cover and whirl until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into mixing bowl. Gently fold in whipped topping. Add marshmallows and pecans.
- Pour into mold or large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight. Check to make sure it’s firm. Still jiggly–it’s Jello!
- To unmold, dip the bottom of the bowl or mold into hot tap water to loosen. Then, invert onto a serving plate. Look how beautiful! Enjoy!!