I have seen many times on cooking shows the use of coffee when cooking beef, so I thought I would try it in my stew. This along with some other strong ingredients produces a sumptuous meal that is still pleasing to the palate.
- 3 lb beef chuck
- 1 whole head of garlic, large
- 1 1/2 cup black coffee
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 large carrots, peeled & cut
- 2 large shallots, peeled
- Cut the beef into 2 inch pieces. Then cut the top off the head of garlic and remove the outer papery skin.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large casserole: beef, garlic head, coffee, wine, bay leaves, salt & pepper. Add more salt and pepper if you so desire.
- Set on stove and bring to a boil. Remove any foam that may arise, then simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Half way through add the peeled and cut carrots and the peeled shallots. Cover again and simmer for the remaining hour.
- Squeeze out the insides of the cooked garlic, mash then mix into the juices. Serve hot with noodles.
More Delicious Beef Dinner Recipes:
Brisket a la Carbonnade
Hot Italian Shredded Beef
My Moma Anna’s Brisket