Submitted By: Liz Hughes
Essentially this recipe takes one of my favorite side dishes, creamed spinach, and turns it into a wonderful and hearty entrée. Chunks of chicken and hunks of French bread, toasted up golden brown, tie this dish together. Plus it’s super simple for a weeknight meal. A great shortcut is picking up a rotisserie chicken at the market instead of cooking your own. Or if you have leftover chicken in the fridge, this is a great way to dress it up and reuse.
Creamy Chicken and Spinach Casserole
Makes 1 casserole
- 2 cups torn French bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine bread with olive oil and kosher salt.
- In a medium pot heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium high heat. Add spinach and cook stirring, until wilted about 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander, let cool and squeeze out any extra moisture. Coarsley chop.
- Wipe pot clean and heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in nutmeg.
- Add wine to pot and cook until almost evaporated about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook for thirty seconds while stirring. Gradually add in half and half. Add lemon juice and bring mixture to a boil over high.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish and top with bread pieces. Bake until bread is golden brown and mixture is bubbling. About 8 to 10 minutes.