I know what you’re thinking: “sweet kale chips?” – but it’s so yummy, I promise! I was shopping in a health food store and saw a bag of salty kale chips at $3.99 a bag and it was very high in fat and sodium! Inspired, I bought fresh kale and ran home. I then came up with this easy and oh-so delish sweet snack.
My niece Cara was over at the time so we did the “taste test” together and we both really liked the sweet and slightly spicy flavor. Cara makes them more savory with a little salt and pepper but I won her over with this version! So give it a try and let me know what you think. By the way, my 5 year old absolutely loved them. I think I just found a new way for him to eat his veggies.
Nutrition: calories 99.1, fat 1.1 g, carbs 22 g, fiber 6.8 g, sugar 8.6 g, sodium 99.3 mg, protein 5.1 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 3
Crunchy and Sweet Kale Chips
Makes 1 yummy serving!
- 2 cups fresh kale that has been broken into small pieces; rinsed and dried well with paper towels
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and line a heavy cookie sheet with non stick aluminum foil (if you don’t have that then use regular aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray).
- Lay the pieces of kale on the cookie sheet.
- Spray the kale with cooking spray
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over the kale.
- Lightly mist the kale again with the cooking spray. Now sprinkle a pinch of salt over the kale.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn the pan around after 7 minutes and give a little shake to the pan.
- After 15 minutes, check to see that the chips are crispy. If not put back in the oven for under 5 minutes and check again.
- Take out and enjoy this healthy snack any time of day!