What warms you up better than a nice mug of hot chocolate? I can’t think of anything better to drink on a chilly Monday morning – it’s 21 degrees here in New York, yikes! I just made this for my 3 favorite people: my wonderful family. They all loved it and I loved making it for them. Make this wonderful decadent treat for your family and I bet it will be a big hit around your house like it is at mine. Enjoy!
Nutrition: calories 145.6, fat 2.8 g, carbs 26.3 g, fiber 1.4 g, sugar 22 g, sodium 122.3 mg, protein 6.4 g
Decadent Lower Fat Hot Chocolate
- 2 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (natural works better than Dutch processed in this recipe)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half (a great product to have around)
- 1/4 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cocoa powder for sprinkling on top
- Aerosol whipped topping (optional)
- A few mini marshmallows (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together the sugar and cocoa powder with a wire whisk. If you have a flat wire whisk, this works great for the corners.
- Stir in the milk and half and half until blended.
- Whisk until well blended over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Do not boil.
- Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and mini chips until melted.
- Pour into small to medium size mugs and enjoy!
More Delicious Warming Beverage Recipes: