This is a very lovely cake that you can serve at a dinner party for a beautiful presentation or a weeknight dessert for the family. Believe it or not, this light and airy cake does not take that long to make and has very few ingredients.
Nutrition: calories 141, fat 1.8, carbs 28, fiber 0.3, protein 3.1, Weight Watchers points 4
Elegant And Easy Swiss Roll Cake
Makes 9 servings
- 3 large or extra large eggs
- 1/2 super fine sugar or caster sugar. (Domino makes this and you must use super fine sugar for this recipe. You can also use it for any recipe that calls for granulated sugar. It is not powdered sugar.) Found in the sugar isle at the market
- 6 -7 tbsp all fruit spread such as – peach, strawberry, raspberry jams (or any all fruit jam you like. Polaner has a large variety)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- About 1 tbsp boiling water
- 2 tbsp super fine sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp skim milk, more or less, to make easy to pour over cake.
- Drizzle of melted chocolate over the top, this is optional
- Drizzle of fruit spread that has been softened in microwave for a few seconds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- First spray cooking spray over the baking pan then lay parchment paper over a small jelly roll pan. 12 x 8 or 15 x 10 IN.
- Combine the eggs with the sugar and beat with an electric mixer for at least 5-7 minutes until the batter looks light and it’s a mousse like texture. When you lift the beater out of the batter it should drip very slowly. This step is important because this make for a light cake.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and add the lemon juice and stir.
- Add the vanilla and stir. Then slowly add the flour and pinch of salt.
- Add the one tablespoon of boiled water and stir gently.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges with the spatula.
- Bake about 10-15 minutes. You want the cake to be lightly browned and when you touch the cake it should spring back slightly.
- Lay a piece of wax or parchment paper on your counter and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Invert the cake on top. Peel away the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake. Neatly trim the edges of the cake.
- Wait just 3-4 minutes for the cake to cool just a bit and then spread your fruit spread over the cake.
- Roll up quickly from the shorter side. Hold in position for a minute or so to keep the shape.
- You can now place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place on a pretty platter and if you want you can decorate the way I did in the picture with a small amount of the icing.
Serve with fresh fruit for a wonderful delicious dessert and enjoy.