I really like cooking in my crockpot all year round. During the winter months It’s nice to make hearty dishes that stick to your bones. In the summer, I like to use my crockpot because it doesn’t heat up my kitchen. This newest recipe is so full of fresh flavors and textures. You know it’s an easy peazy recipe. Basically it’s throwing everything in, putting the lid on and walking away for most of the day. My house smells so yummy while I’m writing the recipe down. Looking forward to digging in.
Family Favorite Crockpot Chicken Barley Bean Soup
- 3 large carrots, I cute them in half and then cut in quarters
- 2 celery stalks sliced or chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large thick boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearled barley
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place carrots, celery and onion. Place chicken on veggies. Add remaining ingredients except the parsley and beans. Cook on high for about 4 to 5 hours or low about 8 hours.
- After chicken is cooked. Take out and slice or cube and put back into pot.
- Toss the beans gently into the pot along with the chicken.
- At this time, check for seasoning. Add more salt if needed but, try not to over salt the soup. Let it continue to cook on low for another hour.
Enjoy this wonderful soup. It’s got it all, YUM!