This is a fast and easy snack or dessert that is always a crowd pleaser. We are big apple lovers in my house so when it’s apple picking time I make this at least once or twice a week. In the spring and summer, it’s a nice change to enjoy while sitting in the backyard with my family.
I put toppings we love on the apples, but go ahead and put your own spin on it — be creative. Just a quick note: that’s my little guy, Josh’s hand in the picture. He just couldn’t wait to grab an apple before I took a picture of the nachos. That’s my cutie pie!
Caramel Apple Nachos
Makes 2 servings
- 1 large Gala apple, or your favorite type of apple — we love Gala’s because they are sweet and crisp
- 3 tbsp caramel syrup, coconut nectar or honey
- 1 tbsp sweetened coconut; you can also toast the coconut for a few minutes in the oven for a nuttier flavor
- 1 tbsp mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp orange juice – preferably freshly squeezed (optional)
- Wash and dry the apple. Slice very thin.
- Measure out syrup or honey and microwave only about 7-10 seconds until warm and runny.
- Distribute your sliced apples on the plate and squeeze the lemon or orange juice over the apples.
- Drizzle sauce over the apples and then sprinkle the coconut and mini chips on top.
You can double the recipe by using another large apple and the same ingredients for a bigger portion.
That’s it! Enjoy this healthy snack and crunch away!