Living in New York and having grown up here, a black and white cookie is just a favorite bakery dessert. When I was a little girl, Sunday mornings would be the day my dad would always pick up the black and white cookies along with the bagels. It was such a wonderful treat to look forward to every week. Now I am so happy to be able to make my own version of this great cookie and know that it is just as yummy but with half the calories and fat.
Giant New York Black and White Cookies
Makes 10 large cookies
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup applesauce (I use baby applesauce)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, for vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, for chocolate
- 1/4 tsp almond extract, for vanilla
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 for each icing
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp skim or 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (You must use parchment paper)
- In a medium to large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl cream the softened butter and sugar. Add the applesauce, vanilla and lemon juice. The batter will look like it is curdling but don’t worry it will be fine when you add the flour mixture.
- Add the eggs and using the electric mixer beat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour mixture and beat with the mixture for 2 minutes until the batter looks nice and smooth. Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes.
- Drop batter by about 2 heaping tablespoons each. With clean hands, smooth with index finger to make nice round circles. You need to work in small batches. 4 – 5 to a cookie sheet. (Remember, this batter makes 10 large cookies).
- Bake for 10 minutes until set but not browned. The bottoms will look nice and light brown but the tops will not.
- Let cool on a cookie sheet for just a few minutes and then move over to wire cooking rack.
- Each bowl gets 3/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Add 1 tablespoon milk to the vanilla frosting along with the vanilla and almond extracts. Whisk until nice and smooth.
- Set aside until the chocolate is ready.
- In the other bowl add the cocoa whisk in the milk and vanilla until nice and smooth.
- Use a small butter knife or a small spatula and start with the vanilla icing. Spread over half the cookie. Do this over the bowl to catch the drips.
- Spread chocolate icing on the other half of the cookie. Remember over the bowl.
- Place on the cooling rack or on a flat surface until the icing sets.
- Now go and ENJOY this wonderful light as air giant cookie!!!