Submitted By: Jessica Flatley
Quiche is not quiche without globs of cheese, sour cream and eggs, so I apologize to my dairy free friends. This recipe is very special because it has been my man’s absolute favorite food in the whole wide world since he was a little boy. When I found out I couldn’t have gluten, Dave also suffered by being deprived of his favorite food. I had to return the love and support by finding a gluten free crust we could continue to bake and enjoy together. I am happy to say we have perfected a modified version of quiche to qualify as gluten free and completely delicious! This recipe is perfect for dinner, entertaining and can even be cut up for Superbowl appetizers! For more on this story, check out the original post here!
Gluten Free Quiche
Makes 6 slices or 15 bite size squares
1 1/2 c. Shredded
Organic Cheddar Cheese
1/2 c. Shredded Organic Cheddar Cheese (save for the topping)
1/4 c. Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 c. Diced Tomato
1/4 c. Sour Cream
5 Eggs (2 Whole Eggs, 3 Egg Whites)
1/3 c. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/4 c. Water
3/4 c. Instant Mashed Potato Flakes
1/4 c. Instant Mashed Potato Flakes (save for the topping)
3/4 c. Gluten Free Flour (GF All Purpose or Brown Rice Flour)
1 can chopped Green Chiles
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt (for the pie crust)
3/4 tsp. Sea Salt (for the quiche)
1 tsp. Chives
9 in. Pie Pan
- This recipe is broken into two parts: making the quiche crust and the quiche filling!
- Quiche Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine the Earth Balance buttery spread, 3/4 c. mashed potato flakes, gluten free flour, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp. sea salt and in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with your hands until crumbly. Then, add 1/4 c. water and press together with your hands until the dough holds together.
- Tip: if dough is still crumbly, add more water in 1/2 tsp. increments so you don’t add too much.
- Roll all of the gluten free dough into a ball and place in the center
of the 9 in. pie pan. Start kneading the dough and pressing it all along the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan. It should cover the pan completely.
- Take a fork and press all along the outer rim of the pie pan and aerate the bottom of the crust by lightly poking holes with the fork.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Take it out after 10 minutes to add the quiche filling.
- Quiche Filling:
- Measure the cheddar cheese separately (1 1/2 c. & 1/2 c.) for the bottom and topping of the quiche.
- Clean and dice a medium tomato and measure out 1/4 c.
- Crack 2 whole eggs into a bowl. Then crack 3 eggs but only drop the egg whites in the bowl. Beat the eggs together with a whisk and add the sour cream and chives.
- Now, let’s layer the quiche filling!
- First, sprinkle the 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese and the 1/4 c. potato flakes.
- Next, spoon the tomatoes and then the green chiles. Top with the 1/2 c. cheese reserved for the topping.
- Finally, pour the egg, sour cream and chive mixture over the top of the cheese.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Use a toothpick or fork to test if it is done by inserting in the middle. If it comes out clean, take the quiche out! If not, keep it in longer for 5 minute increments.
- Let it cool for 5 or 10 minutes before serving, as it can be difficult to cut and serve with a spatula if the cheese is too hot.
For step-by-step pictures, check out the original post here!