This cake has been such a hit with family and friends that I couldn’t wait to share it with all of you. Don’t be shocked when you see what the secret ingredient is to make this extra rich and moist. There is no added butters or oil in this cake. I think you will be more than pleasantly surprised with the result. Please let me know what you think. I love to hear your sweet comments.
Nutrition: calories 231, fat 6 g, carbs 35.5 g, fiber 2.1 g, sugars 26.8 g, sodium 291.1 mg, protein 5.4 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 6
Gooey Chocolate Fudge Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup Bobs Red Mill almond meal flour
- 5 Tbsp Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup super fine granulated sugar, if you only have regular granulated sugar, that’s will be just fine
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, use a good quality
- 1/2 cup of canned beets, drained and grated (This is so easy to do. Just run the beets over box grater to measure up to 1/2 a cup.)
- 1/8 cup low fat sour cream plus skim milk added to measure to 1/2 cup
- 2 Tbsp strong brewed coffee, please do not use instant. (I used decaf)
- Colored sprinkles, optional
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar, chopped up.
- 2 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp Agave nectar or good quality honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Spray a non-stick 8 or 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Make sure the pan is shut tightly and then wrap aluminum foil around the base of the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Use a whisk to combine and lighten up. Then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy and a pale color. Do this for at least 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract. After, mix in the grated beets and coffee.
- Now fold in the sour cream milk mixture and the dry ingredients. Go back to the electric mixer and mix until everything is nice and combined. Take a rubber spatula and make sure all the dry mixture from the bottom is fully incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes on the middle rack of the oven. Turn the pan around after 15 minutes for even baking. Test after 30 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes. Next, open up the sides of the pan and let cool completely.
- When cooled, make the frosting, in a microwave safe dish, add the chocolate and hot coffee then place in microwave for about 25 seconds. Take out and stir, place back for another 10 seconds or so. Take out and stir until smooth. Add the agave nectar or honey and mix again. Then add the vanilla extract and stir until shiny and smooth.
- Pour over the cake. With an offset spatula, spread frosting over the cake and let drip down sides if you want. Let set up just a little and when ready to serve, toss the sprinkles if using.
Chocolate Cake Recipes to Tempt Your Appetite:
Amazing Flourless Molten Chocolate Cake
Nothing Better Than Nutella Bundt Cake!
Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake