Harvest Baked Apples
Submitted by: Crystal Sykes, Simply Playful Fare
The delectable smell of these baked apples welcomes in the fall season with open arms. I must confess that I simply love any recipe with baked apples, and when I saw this one from Crystal I knew you would have the same desire to bake up a batch.
Nutrition per 1/2 apple: Calories: 232 Fat: 9.5g Carbohydrates: 34.9g Protein: 3.5g Sodium: 190mg
- 4 granny smith apples, cored
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar in the raw
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Core the apples. Spray the bottom of your baking dish with nonstick spray. You will need a dish big enough to fit 4 apples.
- Mix flour, oats, salt, and spices in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop the almonds, and add to the dry mixture.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Probably best to use your hands to incorporate the butter. Usually this would be the last step when making a crumble, but I wanted to add the sugar last so that it would caramelize better.
- Add the sugar, honey, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the mixture evenly to the apples. I packed as much of it as I could into my apples, but I still had some left over.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. 45 minutes is too long. If you overcook your apples, they will split and spill out into your baking dish. I topped mine with a sprinkle of brown sugar when they came out of the oven.
- Let cool and serve warm.
As always, Crystal has beautiful step-by-step photos. To view click here.
Fabulous Fruit Dessert Recipes:
Healthy Grilled Peach With Ricotta And Honey
Fresh Berries With Cashew Cream
Baked Apples with Fresh Cranberries and Orange
Permanent link to this article: https://skinnysweetsdaily.com/harvest-baked-apples/