When you read the ingredients in this recipe, you will probably think there is a typo; don’t worry, there isn’t. If you are looking for the flour, there is none (that’s right). Somehow I figured out how to make a healthy gluten free dessert and low fat muffin without using any kind of flour at all. Making a gluten free dessert is always a challenge when trying to keep the fat down, but you will never know these wonderful tasting muffins are low fat.
When I told my husband to try them, I started smiling and he said, “Oh no! What’s in these that you don’t want me to know about?” I told him to just try them. He loved them, but he still doesn’t know they were low fat and gluten free (and I don’t plan on telling him either). Anyway, give these a try and I bet they will be a big hit even with the fussiest of eaters.
Just a note, the batter is very thin; don’t think you made a mistake. They come out great every time, so go for it and enjoy!
Nutrition: calories 107, fat 3.1 g, carbs 13.1 g, fiber 2 g, sugar 12.7 g, sodium 75 mg, protein 3.7 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 2
Healthy Low Fat Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 – 15 1/2 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup light unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated coconut sugar
- 1 drop all natural Stevia, plain or chocolate flavor
- 2 tbsp coconut oil — melted and cooled
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Coconut sugar to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with foil liners. Set aside until ready to fill.
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas.
- In a blender, add the chickpeas along with the almond milk and vanilla extract; blend.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients one at a time and blend after each ingredient. Blend until VERY smooth.
- Pour into a large measuring cup, if you don’t have a large one then do this in batches.
- Fill each cup 3/4 of the way. You will have plenty for 12 nice size muffins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Turn the pan around after 15 minutes or so for even baking.
- A toothpick or wooden skewer should come out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Enjoy these healthy, delicious muffins.