Recently Regina and I met for sushi while having a Skinny Sweets Daily meeting. We got all business out of the way and best of all, we had time to catch up and just relax for a ladies night out. Whenever we meet, I try and bring her my newest recipe. The last few times I hadn’t so I made sure this time to bring something I knew she and her family would like. I told her to please tell me what everyone’s comments or tweaks were. Happy to report, the whole family loved them! I was very happy to say the least. So here is the recipe for a great, moist pumpkin muffin with a crunchy topping.
Nutrition: calories 215, fat 6.9 g, carbs 35 g, fiber 3.7 g, sugars 14.8 g, sodium 152 mg, protein 4.1 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 6
Streusel Topped Pumpkin Pie Muffins
Makes 12 yummy muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
- 3 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 packets all natural Stevia
- 1/4 cup avocado, grape seed or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp butter or vegan spread, softened
- 6 Tbsp date,coconut or turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees, generously spray a muffin pan with cooking or baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, place flours, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix and lighten up with a whisk. set aside.
- In a medium to large saucepan, add the pumpkin, and cook over low to medium heat for about 5 minutes. You will see the pumpkin change color. Stir often or constant. Remove from heat and add the cream cheese. Mix until almost melted. Add the buttermilk, sugar, molasses, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour into the pumpkin mixture. Stir well to incorporate all the wet into the dry but try not to over mix.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, fill the muffin pan. Batter makes 12 muffins. Let sit for a minute while making the topping.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients (2 tbsp. butter, 6 tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon) until crumbly. Now sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes on the top rack. Turn the pan around after 10 for even baking. Check after 15 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean or with dry crumbs.