Try this healthy recipe that I bet will turn into a family favorite. It’s a great recipe to make with the kids because there are no raw eggs involved and with clean hands they can really get in there and have fun. If you want to leave off the frosting then it can be a muffin. Either way, enjoy!
Nutrition: calories 199, fat 6.2 g, carbs 38 g, fiber 3.3 g, sugars 19 g, sodium 204.4 mg, protein 3.2 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 6
Vegan Banana Maple Cupcakes
Makes 12 frosted cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 cup avocado oil, or any vegetable oil, even olive oil would work
- 1/8 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 4 ounce jar baby applesauce
- 1 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, use a good quality
- 1/4 cup almond milk, soy milk will work as well
- 2 very ripe bananas
For the frosting:
- 1 8 ounce container Tofutti better than cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp all natural maple extract, you can leave this out if you want
- 3 Tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus another 1/2 tsp for topping
- 1 1/2 tsp maple sugar for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 325 degrees, have cupcake liners ready in the muffin pan and spray them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
For the cupcake batter
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oil, margarine and the sugar and mix well.
- Start adding all the rest of the ingredients one at a time and mix with a rubber spatula.
- When all is included, use a hand held mixer and mix until all ingredients are combined well. Make sure you dig deep down with the spatula to make sure all the dry mix is incorporated.
- With an ice cream scooper, fill the muffin cups with the batter. Makes 12 nice size cupcakes.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes and rotate the pan around after 10 minutes. Check to see if done after 15 minutes. A wooden skewer or toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then invert and let cool completely.
For the frosting
- While the cupcakes are cooling, place all your ingredients into a medium-mixing bowl. With clean mixing batters, mix with an electric mixer until all is combined. Place in fridge for about an hour while the cupcakes are cooling.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, dollop the frosting onto each cupcake and then sprinkle with a little cinnamon and maple sugar.
Enjoy these wonderful, healthy cupcakes!