Submitted by: Crystal Sykes
Take control over the quality of healthy fat you consume by making your own mayonnaise. Fresh and delicious!
- ½ teaspoon fine salt – we used pink Himalayan salt and the fine grind. Found in Costco’s spice section.
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 pinches sugar
- 1 egg yolk *
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (calls for fresh squeezed, but we used already prepared)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup Safflower or Corn oil (we used vegetable oil) **
- Add the salt and mustard to a mixing bowl.
- Separate the yolk of an egg, and add it to the bowl. Beat until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add half of the lemon juice and vinegar to the bowl and beat.
- Now, add just a few drops of oil to the bowl, and beat. NOTE: If the oil is added to fast, you are in danger of “breaking” the mayonnaise. This is why the oil is added slowly.
- Now, continue to add half the oil slowly, while still beating.
- Add the other half of the lemon juice and vinegar, and beat.
- Add the remaining oil slowly, while beating.
- Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature, and then transfer to a jar or container. Store in the refrigerator, and use within one week.
* Reduce the risk of salmonella poisoning from consuming raw or undercooked eggs by using pasteurized eggs.
** Tip: Add oil to a plastic squeeze bottle for easy pouring
For fantastic step by step pictures check out the original post.
Another great condiment from Crystal: