Here is a recipe that came to me while having breakfast with my son. My son Josh wanted a banana in the morning and he also wanted some dry cereal, so I gave him both. I was eating my usual breakfast of fat free Greek yogurt with a banana, and he asked if he could have a spoonful of my yogurt on his plate with the banana. He took the banana and dipped it into the yogurt and then into the cereal and said “I like eating my banana this way, Mommy”. So I thought, how yummy would this be frozen? Adding a few almonds would really make this a great snack or dessert.
So here is my newest recipe that I am naming after my six year old Josh, (which by the way, is now his new favorite treat). Adults will love this as well. It’s so smooth and creamy with a great crunchy coating. You will love the amount of fiber this has too. Enjoy!
Nutrition: calories 99.1, fat 3.2 g, carbs 19.6 g, fiber 7.1 g, sugar 6.1 g, sodium 45.5 mg, protein 4.6 g
Josh’s Frozen Banana Crunch Pops
- 2 large bananas
- 1 6 or 8 ounce container plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Fiber One 80 calorie honey squares
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds — crushed into little pieces (you can use a sharp knife to cut them up into small pieces)
- 6 Popsicle or lollipop sticks
- Have a plate or small cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a wide bowl or plate, mix the yogurt along with sugar, one tsp cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Set in fridge for a few minutes until ready to use.
- In a small Ziploc bag, crush the cereal with a rolling pin until most of the cereal is coarse-bread-crumb consistency, but still has some larger pieces for added texture. Add the remaining 1 tsp cinnamon and shake the bag. Add the almonds and then spread the contents out on a plate
- Peel and slice each banana into 3 even pieces. Gently insert the Popsicle or lollipop stick half way through. If you find this hard to do, you can skip to step 4, freeze for about 10 minutes and then put the sticks in.
- Have your two plates ready with the yogurt mixture and the crunchy mixture.
- Start with the yogurt and roll each banana piece into the yogurt. Lightly coat each piece with a spoon. After, roll the banana piece into the cereal mixture. Lay on your prepared pan with the wax paper and do this with the remaining 6 banana pieces.
- Place in the freezer for one hour. If they stay in the freezer longer, let them sit out for a few minutes before eating. This way you will still have the creamy texture of the banana and the yogurt when you bite into them. They are so filling yet refreshing all at the same time. Enjoy this healthy treat!