A while back my husband and I went away on a spa weekend and had a wonderful dinner at the hotel. One of the desserts offered was flan. At the time I had never tried flan and had no desire to, but the waiter told me to try it and he promised I would like it. I normally would have had the frozen yogurt but I wanted to try something new. To my surprise, I loved it! The texture was so light and creamy.
I couldn’t imagine how they could make something so creamy since it was a diet dish. This is my version of that lovely dessert I had with my husband (who by the way, liked it so much he got it the next night for dessert). Just a quick note: this recipe is so easy to prepare and you can cut the ingredients in half to make three servings if you don’t want to make all six.
Nutrition: calories 145, fat 2 g, carbs 27.3 g, fiber less than 1 g, sugar 27 g, sodium 81.5 mg, protein 6.2 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 4
Light and Luscious Orange Cinnamon Flan
- 2 large or extra-large eggs
- 2 large or extra-large egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 8 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange extract (optional)
- pinch salt
- zest from 1 whole orange, plus extra for decorating
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon; more for sprinkling on top for garnish
- Aerosol whipped topping for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray 6 oven-proof custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray and put one tablespoon of honey in each cup. I suggest spraying the spoon with cooking spray for the honey to slide right off.
- Place the cups on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to caramelize the honey.
- Remove the cups from oven and let cool down.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl whisk the milks, eggs, egg whites, 2 tablespoons honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, orange zest, orange extract (optional) and salt. Whisk well until nice and fluffy.
- Now have a baking pan ready filled half way with cold water.
- Fill each cup with the custard mixture and gently set in the pan filled with water. Be sure no water gets into the cups. The water should be almost half way up each cup.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove and cool.
- You can eat them when they cool off or place in fridge and chill. When ready to serve, invert the Flan on a dessert plate. You may need to take a knife and go around the rim to loosen up a bit. Sprinkle with cinnamon and more orange zest and ENJOY!
Some of Our Favorite Pudding Recipes:
Creamy Tasty Delight – Panna Cotta with Coffee
Chocolate Avocado Protein Pudding
Easy Homemade Creamy Rice Pudding