This cake is so light and moist. It’s easy to make and I think it will be a big hit. It looks so pretty and tastes as good as it looks!
Nutrition: calories 254, fat 2.8, carbs 58, fiber 1.5, protein 1.5, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 7
Lighten Up Upside Down Pineapple Cake
Makes 12 large pieces of cake
- 1 package Betty Crocker moist yellow cake mix (I use Betty Crocker because it has the lowest calories and fat per serving and it has the best tasting, in my opinion)
- 1 cup orange/ tangerine seltzer (you can use plain if you’d like)
- 2 jars baby food applesauce (4 ounce jars)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract (optional)
- 12 pineapple rings packed in juice, drained and blotted on a paper towel
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice from the can of pineapple rings
- 12 maraschino cherries (drained and blotted dry)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have a 13 x 9 non stick baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray ready.
- To make the glaze: In a microwave safe bowl melt the light butter for about 15 seconds. Add the brown sugar and mix well. Pour this mixture evenly on the bottom of the baking pan. You can spread with a rubber spatula.
- Lay the drained and blotted pineapple rings over the glaze. You will be able to fit 12 nicely. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
- Set the pan aside until the batter is ready.
- To make the batter: In a large bowl combine the cake mix, apple sauce, seltzer, baking powder. vanilla extract, coconut extract (optional) and pineapple juice. You can use a hand held mixer or mix by hand until smooth. Let batter sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stir by hand once or twice and then pour over the pineapples. Use a rubber spatula to even out the batter.
- Bake for about 35- 40 minutes until cake is light to medium brown. Half way through baking, turn the pan around and tap once in the oven. This will help make sure the middle will set up. A wooden skewer or wooden toothpick should come out clean, when ready.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 20-30 minutes. It will still be slightly warm. Take a serving plate or cookie sheet that is larger than the baking pan and place over the pan. Carefully flip over. Gently lift the pan to release the cake. If a slice of pineapple is still in the pan put it on the cake (no one will ever know). It will look beautiful!
Now go and enjoy a nice large piece of this yummy cake!
More Delectable Cake Recipes: