Submitted by: Crystal Sykes, Simply Playful Fare
Do you need a fabulous, easy appetizer? Well this recipe is exactly what you need. Prepare it ahead of time then pop it into the oven shortly before you are ready to serve.
Nutrition: Serving size: 4, Calories: 294, Fat: 22.1, Carbohydrates: 7.4, Protein: 19.4
- 24 oz White (or brown) mushrooms
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 lb Turkey sausage
- ½ onion
- 1½ teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1½ teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- NOTE: This will make about twice the filling needed, so either store the leftover filling in the fridge and use within a week or double the mushrooms to use it all. The filling can also be used in other dishes, such as omelets or quiches.
- Brown the turkey sausage with 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat until cooked. Strain grease, if any, and set aside to cool.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and align the mushroom caps on a large cookie sheet.
- Finely chop the celery, onion, and mushroom stems and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop the rosemary, thyme, sage, and garlic (if not using jarred garlic), and add to the bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the mushroom-spice mix to a large pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook until the vegetables are done. Allow to cool.
- Add the sausage to the vegetable mixture, and mix well.
- Once the mixture is completely cool, add the Parmesan cheese and mix well. (This is your binder.)
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the sausage vegetable mixture to your desired full-ness (See Note above).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350, or until the mushrooms are done.
For great step-by-step photos, please visit Crystal’s original post.