Submitted By: Deborah Tomasetti Perham
As time has past I have come to terms with the fact that all families have their own style of cooking. With this I recognize my mother-in-law was an exceptional cook. To memorialize her we took all her recipes (in her handwriting) and compiled a cookbook, printing a copy for each family member: “Cooking with Grandma Far-Away” (“Grandma Far-Away” lived about 50 miles from us. My mom – just plain “Grandma” – lives about 3 miles from us.)
Here’s a picture and the recipe for one of my mother-in-law’s favorite foods to prepare. She called it “Mom’s Best Macaroni Dish.” Notice the ladle. THAT ladle belonged to my *maternal* grandmother. When she passed away, I promised myself I would use that ladle whenever we served a pasta dish. Did I just say “PASTA”? I mean “MACARONI”! I’ll post some stories about both my grandmothers and their recipes very soon.
Mom’s Best Macaroni Dish
- 1 box of elbow macaroni – cooked
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes
- 5 green peppers, sliced
- 2 tbs Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef. Drain off grease. Remove to bowl.
- In pot where ground beef was browned, sauté onions and celery till tender.
- Return ground beef to pot. Mix in rest of ingredients, except peppers and macaroni. Cook 30 minutes.
- Add peppers. Cook another 30 minutes.
- Mix in macaroni. Put mixture into an oven-proof casserole dish. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs and extra Parmesan cheese on top. Bake 350 degrees F until bubbly. Enjoy!