Submitted By: Liz Hughes
I originally got the idea of this stove top macaroni and cheese from the wonderful food blog White on Rice Couple. Not only is the mac and cheese stove top – it’s made in one pot. I thought this was genius. It’s almost like risotto mac and cheese! You cook your macaroni in the milk – not water. While the pasta is slowly cooking in the milk, this beautiful white and creamy bechamel style sauce starts forming. The pasta starts to soften and cook while lending it’s starch to thicken the sauce. So cool! I’m telling you – there are some seriously creative people out there. After your pasta has absorbed all the milk, mix in some gooey orange cheddar cheese and “ta dah” – macaroni and cheese.
One Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Apples and Bacon
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 apples, cut in 1/4″ dice
- 6 slices center cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Grated cheddar for garnish
- In a large saucepan pour in macaroni, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, mustard, nutmeg and salt. Heat on medium and bring milk to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir macaroni mixture for 15 to 20 minutes (the milk will start to thicken and be absorbed by the pasta).
- Taste pasta for doneness and stir in cheese and butter until completely combined. Turn off flame and cover and let sit for 5 minutes. The macaroni will soak up any extra liquid and soften a touch more.
- While the macaroni sits cook of your bacon until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Save about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and in same pan add apples and rosemary. Cook for about 4 minutes over medium heat until apples are slightly softened. Crumble and add bacon to apple mixture.
- Stir apple mixture into macaroni and cheese. Serve right away and garnish with grated cheddar.
More Delicious Pasta Dish Recipes:
Dairy Free Pesto with Gluten Free Linguine
So Easy Lo Mein
Seafood Pasta Salad