Contributed by Gunjan Dudani, Kiipfit
I don’t know whether it was my 1st day in school or my daughter’s 1stday in school but we were both excited and slightly apprehensive about this day. I wanted this day to be special and memorable for my family. This was the first time in 2 ½ years that she would be away from home without me. Well I must confess I was a little nervous about the situation. Surprisingly my anxieties brought some more creativity out of me 🙂 .
Since it was my first experience of packing a lunch box for my toddler I was wondering what I should give her in school that would be easy to eat, yet mouthwatering, kid friendly and would create minimum mess for everybody. Something that I could cook a day ahead and I could just put in her lunch box next morning and quickly drive her to school.
I had a big box of Raspberries and with all the thoughts flowing in my mind I kept staring at them. After few minutes I just turned on the flame and starting warming the pan. I just dumped the raspberries into the pan with some sweetener and covered it for 5 minutes. It turned out to be beautiful antioxidant syrup. Then it struck me why not I bake bread and hence I came up with Pan Roasted Raspberries Bread. But my real test was still due. When my daughter came back from school the first thing I did was to check her lunch box and it was all gone. Yippee! I made it. Another creation of mine was a success 🙂
Pan Roasted Raspberries Bread
- 1 ½ cups raspberries
- ¼ cups maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flax oil
- ¼ cups + 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 ½ cups vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Warm a nonstick pan in a low flame over the stove. Add raspberries and maple syrup. Lightly mix them so that the raspberries are properly coated with the maple syrup. Cover and cook in the medium flame for 5 minutes. When it is slightly liquid turn off the flame and remove the pan from the hot stove. Mash the raspberries lightly with the spatula and let them cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven at 425 degree Fahrenheit and prepare the loaf pan by greasing and dusting it.
- In the meantime combine all the liquid ingredients in a bowl and mix properly.
- In another bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- When the raspberries are cooled add them to the liquid ingredients bowl and mix well so that all the liquids are properly blended.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Make sure you don’t overdo it. Just mix gently with a spoon so that all the ingredients are properly combined. The batter will change into purplish in color.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and put it in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool. Once cooled the bread will leave the loaf pan. Cut into slightly thick slices and serve at room temperature.
Any milk of your choice can also be used I prefer vanilla almond milk to add to the nutrition into my family’s diet. If using other milk add 1tsp vanilla extract.
Olive oil can also be used in place of flax oil but the nutrition value will change in that case.
Any vinegar can be used, I used white distilled vinegar. I used vinegar for leavening.
To see the original post on Kiipfit click here.
More Fabulous Bread Recipes:
Let’s Go Bananas For Cinnamon Banana Bread
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread with Oatmeal and Flax
Orange Scented Fruity Banana Bread