This simple yet delicious pot roast recipe has to be my favorite slow cooked meal. I used to make it in a roasting pan covered with aluminum foil, but just tried it out in my new cast iron pot. OMG! It melts in your mouth. Even the onions were awesome; tasted like butter. Who knew a pot could make so much difference.
Perfect Pot Roast
- 3 lb beef rump roast
- 5 carrots, cleaned & cut into chunks
- 5 onions, cut in half
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 bottles of beer*
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp Gravy Master Browning Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Salt and pepper the roast then brown in your cast iron pot* with some olive oil.
- When browned place roast in the center of the pot and surround it with the carrots, onions and bay leaves. Add the beer.
- Cover and place in the oven for 4 hours.
- Remove roast and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
- To make gravy with the remaining pot juices:
- Reserve 2 cups of the juices
- In empty pot melt the butter and whisk in the flour to make a rue
- Then slowly whisk in the juices
- Add the Gravy Master – adjust amount to taste and desired color
- Simmer on low until gravy thickens
*NOTE: If you do not have a cast iron pot you can still make this recipe using roasting pan that is covered with foil. Simply adjust the amount of the liquid to 1 1/2 bottles of beer.