This scrumptious cupcake was inspired from a recipe I saw in a Betty Crocker cookbook. I liked the almond theme of this cupcake and decided to make it a Skinny Sweets Daily way. Everyone who had these all liked the little bit of crunch from the almond meal and the brown butter, caramel frosting. I hope you enjoy these and savor every bite. It’s worth it!
Nutrition: calories 192.6, fat 6.5 g, carbs 34.8 g, fiber less than 1 gram, sugars 26.3 g, sodium 198 mg, protein 1.4 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 6
Almond Cupcakes With Creamy Caramel Frosting
For the batter:
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow or white cake mix
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill almond meal flour
- 10 ounces plain seltzer
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the caramel frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1 % milk more if needed at the end of mixing the frosting
- 1 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- half a pinch of salt
Toasted slivered almond for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line 2 muffin pans with foil baking cups. Make sure you use the foil cups because the paper ones may stick. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the batter ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat the batter until nice and fluffy. This may take about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and dig down to make sure all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and set in the fridge for about 15 minutes then take out and fill the muffin cups. Bake about 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly golden on top. The muffins should spring back and a toothpick should come out clean or with dry crumbs. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes then flip them out of the pan and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and using a whisk, mix well. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Switch over to a rubber spatula if needed. Get into the corners to incorporate the sugar into the butter. Now reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Warm the milk in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir into the butter mixture. Return to a boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract and half pinch of salt. Stir and set aside until cooled off. This should take about 30 minutes. After, transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and using a heavy spoon or spatula mix well. You can use a wire whisk if you need to. If the frosting is too thick, add a little cold milk and mix until nice and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes. If you want, add some slivered almonds for garnish and crunch.
Try These Cupcake Recipes Next:
Chocolate Volcano Cupcakes
Tropical Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes
Skinny Watermelon Cupcakes