Here is a wonderful recipe for baked apples and I just love the presentation of this dish. I make this for my sister Rhonda whenever she comes to visit. She loves the sweet and tangy taste of the apples and cranberries. It’s loaded with fiber and I think it would make a great breakfast as well as a healthy dessert. Nutrition: per apple with filling – calories 254.3, fat 2.6g, carbs 70.1g, fiber 8.4g, sugar 52.6g, sodium 10.1mg, protein 1.2g
Baked Apples with Fresh Cranberries and Orange
- 2 Rome or Granny Smith apples
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, optional
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 medium fresh orange, pulp and all
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Have a small to medium baking dish ready with 1/4 cup water on the bottom.
- Cut 1/2 inch off the top of the apples and set aside. Scoop out the center of each apple.
- Melt butter in a non stick pan over medium heat and let it get just a little brown. Add brown sugar and mix until smooth. Add cranberries, cardamom, orange juice, and zest and cook until cranberries begin to soften and liquid starts to thicken. This should take about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the apples in the baking dish and spoon the mixture into the apples. Save some mixture until you replace the tops. Now spoon the rest over the top of each apple. Some will fall into the water. This will make a delish sauce when finished.
- Cover with foil and bake until tender, about 15-30 minutes depending on the apples. Half way through, take the foil off and spoon some of the sauce over the apples. Keep the foil off and continue to bake until very tender. 10 to 15 minutes more.
Love Apples! Try One of These Recipes Next:
Pantry Apple Crumble Cake
Harvest Baked Apples
Healthy Moist Spiced Apple Muffins