This recipe came about by just trying to put my favorite two things together: cupcakes and chocolate chips. Instead of a regular vanilla chocolate chip cupcake (which is still delish), I wanted a little twist, literally. So I came up with this very easy and oh-so-moist cupcake that will be a big hit in your house as much as is it in mine. By the way, since this isn’t made with raw eggs it’s a fun recipe to make with the kids. My son Josh loves making the twist in the chocolate.
Nutrition: calories 189, fat 2.8 g, carbs 39.1 g, fiber less than 1 g, sugar 20.3 g, sodium 284 mg, protein 1.1 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 5
Chocolate Chip Marble Cupcakes
Makes 12 -14 cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist butter yellow cake mix
- 10 Oz plain Seltzer, or if you want to add a flavored Seltzer that’s fine too
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 5 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cupcake pan with foil or paper cups and mist the cups and around the cups a little.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, seltzer, baking powder, and flour with a rubber spatula. Make sure you get all the way underneath to mix in all the dry ingredients.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Using a hand held mixer, beat for about 1-2 minutes until batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Add two tbsp of the chocolate syrup by swirling around the batter. Now with a wooden skewer or butter knife, twist and swirl the chocolate around (without mixing it in to look like a chocolate batter). You want this to look marbleized.
- With an ice-cream scooper, fill the cups half way. Now sprinkle in three tbsp of the chocolate chips for all 12 cupcakes.
- Fill the rest of cups with the batter. You may have enough batter for 13 cupcakes or even 14 cupcakes, so don’t over fill the cups or it will be hard to take out of the pan when they are baked. Just save the batter and make two more cupcakes if you want when the first batch is done baking.
- Add the remaining chocolate syrup (using the same method as used in step 4). Add the last 2 tbsp of chocolate chips over each cupcake.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Turn pan around after 8 minutes for even baking. Test with a wooden skewer or toothpick and it should come out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes and then pop them out and ENJOY!
The nutrition information is for 12 cupcakes.