Years ago when I lived in Atlanta, there was this great deli in my neighborhood. They sold these delicious mini crumb cakes wrapped individually. My neighbor and I used to go on Sundays to get our coffee and a mini crumb cake. I was just thinking of how I can recreate those cakes by cutting the fat and calories but still having the rich and buttery taste. I came across a recipe from Betty Crocker’s website and I took a little of that recipe and went with it. Theirs sounded incredibly delicious, but I had to put my skinny spin on them. I used one of their mixes, the Gluten Free cake mix (which is fabulous) So here is my newest recipe that happens to be gluten free and from all the thumbs up from my family a real winner.
Nutrition: calories 134.3, fat 3.4 g, carbs 26 g, fiber 1.2 g, sugars 12.6 g, sodium 170.7 mg, protein 1.3 g
Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumb Cake Bars
Makes 16 Bars
- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten free yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup Land O’ Lakes whipped butter
- 1/2 cup gluten free oatmeal, uncooked
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped finely
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Land O’ Lakes whipped butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp all natural fruit spread, such as strawberry, peach, or nectarine.
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mist the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch non stick square pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix along with the 1/4 cup of butter and vanilla extract. Using a pastry blender, mix all up until crumbly. I wash my hands well with cool water and do it that way. I think it`works better. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture for the topping. Now press the rest into the prepared baking pan. Make sure it’s level. Bake about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the oats,1 teaspoon cinnamon, walnuts and melted butter along with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Take the crust out of the oven and spread the fruit on top. Again, evenly.
- Now sprinkle the crumb mixture over that. Sprinkle the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over that and place back in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Slice into 16 squares and enjoy this wonderful treat!
Check Out Some Wholesome Bar Recipes: