When I was a little girl my mom would take me for ice cream once a week. It was just the two of us, and I almost always ordered Rocky Road ice cream. I loved the crunchy nuts, the chunks of chocolate, and of course the gooey marshmallow. This is what inspired me when making my Rocky Road bars. I swapped out some of the white flour for whole wheat pastry flour for some added fiber (you can’t even tell it’s there). I just made these again today, and within 5 minutes my daughter and her friends finished them, so I knew I could post these for everyone to enjoy. These were such a big hit in our house, and I know they’ll be a big hit in yours as well. Enjoy!
Nutrition: per bar – calories 182, fat 5 g, carbs 38 g, fiber 2.5 g, sugar 24 g, sodium 36.2 mg, protein 2.4 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 5
Rocky Road Bars
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 4 tbsp light stick butter, melted then cooled for a couple of minutes
- 1 4 oz jar baby applesauce
- 1/4 cup Egg Beaters or store brand egg substitute
- 4 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips, chopped up slightly
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 1 1/8 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line an 8×8 square baking pan with non stick foil (Reynolds Wrap makes this but if you can’t find this foil then spray generously with cooking spray, you may want to spray the non stick foil as well.)
- In a small bowl toss the chips, almonds and set aside. Have the 1 1/8 cup of marshmallow ready as well.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients from the top and with a rubber spatula mix until smooth (but don’t over mix the batter). Add everything but the three ingredients you have set aside.
- Spread batter in prepared baking pan and bake for about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and spread the nut, chips evenly. Now toss the marshmallow over. Bake another 5-7 minutes or so. Check with wooden skewer or toothpick and moist crumbs should be on skewer.
- Place pan on cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes. You can now lift the foil up to remove and place on cutting board to cut into 12 nice size pieces. Enjoy!