You know those delish nuts that you get on top of your favorite salad at restaurants? I love those but they are so high in fat, sugar and calories. I was trying to think of a way to get that sticky, caramelized nut without the nut. So I decided to swap out the nuts with chickpeas instead — wow! They are fabulous! I came up with this the other day and couldn’t wait to share it with all of you. I would love to know what you think. Try making this healthy snack for company instead of nuts. I know they will love it!
Nutrition: calories 109, fat 0.9 g, carbs 23.5 g, fiber 3 g, sugar 14.6 g, sodium 140.1 mg, protein 3 g, Weight Watcher PointsPlus® 3
Sweet Chickpea “Nuts”
- 2 – 15 1/2 oz cans chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup sugar, you can use any sugar, sometimes I use coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place the beans in a medium pot with enough water to cover them with about 1 1/2 inches of water over the beans. Add a pinch of salt as well.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon and apple pie spice. Mix gently with a heat proof rubber spatula. If you don’t have one you may use a small wooden spoon. Remember to mix gently; you don’t want to crush any of the beans.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce to simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes. Gently stir once or twice.
- Take off heat, add the vanilla extract and stir gently. Let sit in the pot until cooled (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain the cooled beans thoroughly. Do not rinse.
- Place beans on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. If you have non stick tin foil that would be great. You still will need to spray with cooking spray.
- Lay the beans flat, not overlapping. Remove any loose bean skins. Spray the beans with cooking spray and then sprinkle the tbsp sugar along with 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- During baking you may want to shake the pan a few times for even baking. Turn the pan around once also for the same reason.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or so, until browned and crisp. If you see that the beans are getting too dark then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and ENJOY this healthy, yummy treat!